Wikipedia Critique of “Afro-Brazilians”

I felt that most of the major topics in the article were very relevant to the main topic. I do feel that the structure on some of the sub-headings were much too long. For example, the first sub-heading “Afro-Brazilians”, could have been narrowed down to more specific topics. The content in general is present, and several aspects of Afro-Brazilians’ history is noted. The article is neutral overall, but there are several sentences that may have come from a personal point of view, rather than factual sources. In the sub-heading “Revaluation of Black Identity”, several claims are made with little to no sources. I feel that this could be a result of someone who may have lived similar experiences, but cannot find sources to support their contribution to the article.

The genetic demographic of Brazil are heavily emphasized and presented with several forms of evidence. There is one large section of the article dedicated strictly to the genetic build up of all Brazilians and related themes. They mention the colonial arrival genetic demographics, colonial rule demographics, and genetic demographics of today. I am not surprised, but I am curious as to why there is so much deliberation of genetic demographics by region of the country and what labels these genetic differences place on people. On the other hand, I am very surprised they did not mention large categories that are paramount to the Afro-Brazilian community. The Soccer/Football section was largely non-existent although most of the success in Brazil’s football history has come at the mercy of Afro-Brazilian players. Contemporary music and dance are also small portions of this article, although those same themes are world renowned today. Capoeira is also not discussed thoroughly, and after watching the documentary in class, I feel that section could definitely be expanded.

There are several missing sources in some sections. The section “Conception of Black and Prejudice” is one of the main sections with unreliable and missing links. It talks about the black identity, but is seriously missing several links. There is several information that could be added about culture and Afro-Brazilian contributions to the world today. There is a lot of discussion on what people think is factual and what others think is opinion. People are also urging others to contribute with evidence only. Although, some people may be right, they should always properly cite their work with credible sources.

It is currently part of three wikipedia projects at the moment. This article is different because it looks at several aspects of colonial history only while we look at that period and its effect on Brazil today. We talk about the gap between the colonial era and today. We talk about more themes that deal with the sentiments and human actions while this article does not make an argument for or against Afro-Brazilian experiences.